Monday, April 16, 2007

Rainy Day Pot Roast


Sunshine on a rainy day.

It has been raining hard here for days. Yesterday it was a cold sleety rain. Brrrrrr.
I decided it was a pot roast kind of day, so I give you my rainy day pot roast recipe.

Rainy Day Pot Roast

1 3-4 lb roast (I usually use a top or bottom round)
Brown the roast in a dutch oven with a little hot olive oil and butter.
Take it out of the pot.

Add 1 large chopped onion, 2 scraped and chopped carrots, and 2 washed and chopped celery stalks. Stir them around until they have some color.

Add about ½ a bottle of red wine, maybe 2 cups. You can also use beef broth (canned is fine) or white wine. I think red gives it more depth. Scrape up the bits on the bottom of the pot. Put the roast back in.

Add 1 large can of whole tomatoes, squished and ½ can of beef broth. The liquid should come half way up the roast. I sprinkle in some herbs. Since I’m lazy, I use Herbs de Provence. I put in 2 good size pinches. You can put in whatever herbs you like. I adore thyme and tend to put it in everything.

Cover the pot, and put it in the oven at 350 for 3 hours. Turn the roast every 20 minutes or so.

Serve with garlic mashed potatoes, a good Italian bread and some asparagus (on sale at the A&P). Enjoy.

The neighbors came over and we devoured most of the roast last night. It does make excellent sandwiches if there is any left over.

No comments: