Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Yummy Potato Bake

I made this potato gratin for Easter last year. It comes from a photocopy of a page torn from a magazine. I have no idea what magazine nor where I got the photocopy. So my apologies for lack of citation. The guests raved about the dish. I offer it to you.

I love to cook. I love having people over for dinner. I am going to add a section to the blog on recipes and menus from the themed exotic to the everyday. Enjoy.


New-potato bake

3 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
2 Tsp salt
1 bag (9 ounces) baby spinach leaves

Sauce:
3 Tblsp unsalted butter
1 bunch scallions trimmed and chopped
3 Tblsp flour
2 C warm milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white or black pepper
1/2 lb. swiss cheese shredded. (about 2 cups)
1 Tblsp plain breadcrumbs

Heat oven to 375. Place potatoes and salt in large saucepan. Add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Simmer 8 minutes. Just before draining, add spinach. Drain.

Sauce:
In a small pan, melt the butter over med heat. Add scallions, cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Sprinkle flour over the scallions and whisk to blend. In 2 additions, whisk in the warm milk until smooth. Add the S&P, cayenne and nutmeg. Bring to a boil over med heat, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in 1 C cheese.
Coat a 13X9 with cooking spray. Layer half the potatoes and spinach in the dish; spoon half the sauce over. Sprinkle with half the remaining cheese. Top with the remaining potatoes and sauce. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, Top with breadcrumbs. Bake 10 minutes more until brown. Let it stand for 10-15 minutes.

I served it with ham and sugarsnap peas sauteed with shallots. I started with asparagus soup.

If you have any questions, let me know.

No comments: