Sunday, March 16, 2008

Perfect End-of-Winter Fare

While most of my friends are adventurous eaters, thank God, I still have requests for “regular” food now and then. (Picture eye rolling and head shaking at requests for regular food). As a result of my outside the box cooking (it happens when you take classes at the CIA), I haven’t made braciole for years. (I don’t know that I have ever made it in this house.) I saw a package of the beef at the store weeks ago and it triggered a memory of dinners past with friends. When a spontaneous dinner party came together yesterday, I immediately thought of browned beef with a lovely turkey cheese stuffing wallowing in a thick brown wine sauce with creamy risotto with mozzarella and parm accompanied by asparagus with mushrooms. Perfect end-of-winter fare. And to bring a touch of spring, fresh strawberries with zabaglione.

I do not stuff my braciole and instead of pork filling I use ground turkey. Let me give you the Robertsonian method.

Buy the cut of meat called braciole at the local market. It is large very thin slices of beef. Prepare the stuffing with a package of ground turkey, a handful of Parmesan cheese-about 4 Tbs, another handful of chopped parsley, 4 cloves of chopped garlic, S&P and 2 eggs. Mix it together and then spread it on the slices of beef. Roll the slices up and tie them with kitchen string. Coat the bundles with flour and brown them in 2 Tbs of butter and 2 Tbs of olive oil—more or less depending on how many braciole you are making. When they are browned nicely, pour in ½ a bottle of white wine and scrape up any brown bits. Cook them for about an hour. Take out the bundles and thin or thicken the sauce as needed. Put the braciole on a platter then pour the sauce over them and put any extra in a gravy boat. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Bevson said...

I noticed that last Sunday, I gave you a recipe too. Perhaps I will do a recipe or menu idea every Sunday. Thoughts?

Deejbrown said...

Having been there and eaten that (at your house!) I can vouch for the savoriness of the beef, the creaminess of the risotto, the snap of the asparagas, not to mention the fresh punch of strawberries! Delicious!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, please do give me recipes. I am always struggling with the same old, same old. What kind of "outside the box" are you talking about? Susan

Bevson said...

Well, I have a pot of afelia in the oven as I write this. It is a pork, onion, red wine stew from Cyprus. It is not really outside the box, but somewhat unusual. I have never made it before, I'll let you know how it turned out.

Anonymous said...

OMG, it's not even 11 a.m. and now I'm starving, and craving that braciole! I noticed you twittered about homework - is that for writing on Thursday?? Can't wait to hear it...

Kim