Sunday, March 9, 2008

Lazy Italian Sausage and Potatoes

I have just gotten back from a business trip to California and I was on vacation for 2 weeks before that. My flight yesterday was diverted to another city and delayed 6 hours because of high winds. I did not end up getting home until midnight. I fell into an exhausted sleep and woke up to the time change. I feel out of it.

There is nothing in fridge to eat and I am too tired and lazy to go back down the mountain to the store. Knowing I was going to be away, I have not bought anything fresh for weeks.

After scrounging around in the freezer and pantry I give you a spur of the moment, throw it in a pot dinner.

Italian Sausage and Potatoes

1 package of slightly freezer-burned luganega (a type of small Italian sausage. You could even use breakfast links) cut into small pieces

2 onions sliced thin

3 cloves of garlic sliced thin

Cook everything in a frying pan with some olive oil over low heat until the onions are wilted and tender, then turn up the heat and brown them.

Dump in 1 large can of tomatoes and a few bay leaves (I used 4). Cook for a while-like 15 minutes.

Add 3 or 4 peeled chunked potatoes (snap off any growing eyes and use 'em anyway). Cook until they are fork tender. Add salt and pepper.

Hearty. Easy. With stuff hanging around the house. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Deejbrown said...

Only you could make freezer-burned sausages sound delicious!
D

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. I might add some red pepper flakes. Susan

Bevson said...

Good one. Hot pepper flakes would be snacky!