Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Early Spring Sunrise

As the creeping dawn paled the inky blackness
to shades of gray;
from the east slivers of pale yellow
created Scherenschnitte of the bare trees.
The sun strengthened to light the long layers
of clouds with peach, orange, fuchsia.
High above in the bright pink sky
a river of birds flowed north.
Some still strong after a long night’s flight,
others straggled to keep up.
Rest was just beyond the horizon.

More used to appreciating sunset than sunrise, the drive to work was an unaccustomed pleasure.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. My grandfather used to say, "Red sky in morning, sailors take warning."

Anonymous said...

I saw it too! I was not early enough for the full spectrum that you saw, but I saw an Easter-egg sky striped pink and lavendar. And I thought of exactly what Chris said. :)

Beautiful description!
Kim

Wendy said...

I love sunrises. I'm not a morning person by any means, but on those rare days I actually get out the door just before the sun comes up makes me wish I were.

Anonymous said...

Scherenschnitte?? Otherwise lovely.

Bob

Deejbrown said...

I see them, I hear them, I am them. Thank you for a lovely vision.
Di

Bevson said...

Hey Bob,
Scherenschnitte is the art of papercutting, usually black against a light background. It reminded me of that when I saw it. I guess I could say a black silhouette....

It is not the greatest poem, but it speaks to how I experienced the moment.