Tuesday, March 11, 2008

It’s HOW much?

Is it me or has the price of food suddenly become astronomical?

On my way home, I popped into the local A&P to pick up a few odds and ends until I can do my big shopping on the weekend. I bought 1 rotisserie chicken, a package of turkey dogs (better for you), a bag of salad, 4 apples, a 5lb bag of potatoes (99 cents on sale), a carton of grape tomatoes, a carton of eggs, a quart of goat milk (really love it in coffee), 6 cans of cat food, a box of the cat food in pouches that they like and a carton of strawberry ice cream (yeah, yeah, I know, but it was on sale). 47 bucks? Even after the Price Plus card. Whaaat! I don’t want to use credit at the grocery store!

While I was there, I noticed an old man in the dairy/bread aisle. He was holding a bag of store-brand white bread and reading the nutrition label. I thought it was odd. He then moved down the aisle to the milk and was carefully looking at all the price tags on the shelf. There were very few items in his cart. It struck me. How are retired people faring in this tough economy? What about families with kids? The price of gas is outrageous and now food costs are going through the roof.

Forget organic. Or going to Whole Foods. I am going to start shopping at the local Asian market near where I work. I’m going to start buying the Sunday paper with the most coupons. I am going to start using said coupons. I am going to start eating less. I am going to start entertaining less. Well, right after Easter. Or do you think I can serve Turkey Dogs?

Clare at The House and Other Arctic Musings did a cost comparison. Holy Cow! We have nothing to complain about. Check out these prices!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harumpf. Whole Foods? Who can afford Whole Foods? I feel your pain. Kim

Deejbrown said...

Ummmmm....turkey dogs for Easter dinner? Maybe I will bring 2 pies....

Bevson said...

Fear not DJB, the ham has already been ordered.

Anonymous said...

So, did you buy the Sunday paper and carefully cut out coupons?