Friday, September 14, 2007

September

The light has changed.
Even with the visor down
The sun’s dying embers burn my eyes as I drive into the west.
The creep of darkness has begun
and will not end until the brittle cold of the longest night.

Leaves are changing
Sun kissed touches of gold and red decorate the hillsides
Glowing in the long light,
Splotches of nature’s paint that will soon run together
then turn brown and fall away.

There is a chill in the air
The kitchen floor is cold now in the morning.
When I skip across it in my robe longing for the first sip of morning’s heat
I am still warm from the comforter pulled up in the night
My bare feet are icy.


Change is good, it is inevitable.
It comes on so slowly that we do not notice
until
one day it seems to have happened over night.

2 comments:

Lavender said...

Beautiful truths, Bevson. Time to prepare your 'nest' for the coming long dark - spring will indeed be sweet!

Bevson said...

Hey Lavender,

As much as I whine about it, I am ready for fall. I love the change of seasons. Or, it could be that the recent trip to Phoenix pushed me over the edge. :)