Monday, October 15, 2007

There and back again

After the last day and a half of lashing rain and driving wind, the storm passed sometime in the night. I woke up this morning to a sunny 40 degree day. I was drinking coffee and walking the yard looking for storm damage when I heard "ol' Sam Peabody, Peabody, Peabody". I don't normally have White-throated Sparrows here on the mountain, so I crept around the side of the house to spy a small flock of assorted Sparrows and Juncos. They were picking through the leaf litter and flitting in and out of my arborvitae hedge. This flock will likely move on. But the Chipping Sparrows, American Tree Sparrows and my old friends the Juncos will be hard on their tails.

2 comments:

Lavender said...

Ah, seasonal migration, its such a wonder. Each bird seems so delicate, and yet they make these amazing journeys!

Bevson said...

Hey Lavender,

The Juncos have indeed arrived. I can't put feeders out yet, because of the bears. But soon enough.

Do you have any seasonal migration in Australia?