Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Red, White and Blue Potato Salad

Ok. It was one of those impulse buys that I am trying not to do these days. But there was a 1.5 pound bag of new potatoes in red. blue and yellow (not white). I hefted it in my hand, remembering a recipe from a Bon Appetit for Red, White and Blue Potato Salad. The little bag of tri-colored root vegetables went into the cart.

After browsing over 10 years worth of the magazine stashed in my hall closet (I really need to figure out what to do with them.) I found it. It is in the June 2003 issue, page 124 if you have it. I didn't really follow the recipe (because I rarely do). Here is my take on it.

2 cups of low fat Mayo
1 good-sized hand full of chives (fresh from the garden, flower buds attached) chopped
Caper juice from 1 jar of capers
2 T of capers
salt to taste
a few grinds of multi-colored pepper

Mix it all together. I thinned it out with a little (2T) powered buttermilk (I keep it in the freezer, not like the real stuff, but it will do in a pinch) and water.

Boil the unpeeled potatoes in salted water. I cut them in half and threw them all in the pot. The recipe says to boil them all in separate pots. (Maybe because of color bleed? That didn't happen to me. ) Drain them with they are fork-tender. Throw on a few T of white wine vinegar while the potatoes are still hot. (dry white wine works too) I spooned a few tablespoons of dressing on the warm potatoes. Don't forget to add onion. I would have used red but all I had in the house was white.

The recipe for the dressing is for 2 pounds of each color (6 pounds. yikes. I had 1.5 pounds. No, I did not read the whole recipe before I started the process.) So I have extra dressing sitting in a jar in the fridge. Darn. I guess I'll have to get more potatoes.

I made this on a lark and took it for a birding outing gourmet picnic lunch. Yum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caper juice, huh. Sounds interesting. I never know what to do with them.

Patti

Deejbrown said...

Here, here, I am witness to the savoriness of this recipe, as well as your assortment of olives, tomato salad (w/fresh parsley from your garden), pesto pasta salad and Irish cheddar. That, after a morning of birding--life is good!
(And I promise not to make fun of your picnic basket any more).