Sunday, August 3, 2008

Farmer's Market Sunday


Have you been to a farmer's market or farm stand yet this year? August through Autumn is my favorite time to go. The tomatoes, corn and peaches are at their peak. It doesn't get better than this unless you grow your own. I strolled through the tents at my local Sunday market sampling garlic and onion jelly, herbed goat cheese, blackberry wine, artisan cheeses and red-fleshed plums so ripe the juice flowed down my chin. I love buying local.

Tonight for dinner I am making a pasta with fresh mozzarella, spinach, red bell peppers and onions. I need to cook the organic summer squash I bought, so I might throw them in too.

The picture is of a vegetable stand I saw in the walled Inner City of Baku a few years ago. The fruit there was fantastic. Some of the best figs I have ever eaten.

3 comments:

Deejbrown said...

Nothing better than food grown in your own neighborhood, especially when the squirrels have eaten all of mine!

Anonymous said...

I love this time of year. The garden is at its peak. The sweet potatos are in bloom. Beans of rainbow colors are ready, the beets are getting some size and the broccoli that I hoping would get bigger has set yellow flowers. The squash is coming on hard and sticking their yellow or green noses out from under the large spiky leaves. Cabbages are packed tightly and the tomatoes are just starting. I dug the red skin potatoes and looks like the garlic is ready. Planning dinner is easy

Anonymous said...

I love the colorful fruit against all that white! How was Baku?