Saturday, April 30, 2011

Highbush Blueberry

I was meandering down the elevated boardwalk through the Great Swamp struck by all the tiny twinkling wildflowers just emerging from their long winter's nap; when I came across a tall woody shrub with pendulous urns. The shrub was at least 6 feet tall. Remembering that Teaberry had flowers similar to this, I happily hummed the old Teaberry gum jingle all the way back to the car.

Imagine my surprise when I got home to see that Teaberry is low and in the wintergreen family. Definitely not a 6 foot shrub. It turns out this is a Highbush Blueberry and can grow up to 15 feet. That is a lot of blueberries! Our cultivated blueberries are derived from this shrub.

I have wild Blueberries up here on the mountain, but they are at best knee high. I wonder if they will grow up to be this?

2 comments:

Deejbrown said...

We will just have to go back and check! Great birding with you today...am already looking forward to next weekend!

Ann Marie said...

As always, a good picture & an interesting story. You may have low bush blueberry on the mountain.