Thursday, April 14, 2011

Owlet


I got out of my car in the parking lot at work to the hooting call of a Great Horned Owl. It was 10 AM. I knew that they nested in February and that they often took over old Red-tailed Hawk nests. I walked to the top of the lot, straining to discern anything out of the ordinary in the last year's nest. What might have been something was probably a twig. I shrugged and went in out of the biting cold. I didn't have my binoculars with me.

Several days later, I remember my bins and browsed the nest again and lo and behold there were two tell-tale tufts rising above the edge of the nest. I snapped a photo and danced into the office camera in hand. (I do love digital camera.) "Lookee, what I found!"

Well here we are 2 months later and junior is starting to spend time alone (with mama a few trees away.) Can you see him? He is the giant grey puffball sitting on the right of the nest. Try double-clicking on the photo and it should open up in a large window.

No comments: